***2020 Spring Course Announcement coming soon.***
Elma CERT, Inc. offers the Basic CERT course every Spring and Fall to the public. The CERT course consists of nine (9) consecutive classes scheduled Monday and Thursday evenings, 6pm – 9:30pm. Elma CERT, Inc. uses subject matter experts to teach each class.
The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program educates volunteers about disaster preparedness for the hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. CERT offers a consistent, nationwide approach to volunteer training and organization that professional responders can rely on during disaster situations, allowing them to focus on more complex tasks.
The CERT Basic Training teaches citizens what to do before, during, and after the hazards their communities may face.
Through hands-on practice and realistic exercises, participants:
- Learn team building skills
- Learn how to use a fire extinguisher with live fire training.
- Learn basic first aid skills and light search and rescue techniques.
- Learn organizational processes and team work.
- Learn about psychological effects and treatment of disasters
- Learn an awareness of Terrorism
Below is a description of each topic:
- Disaster Preparedness: Addresses hazards specific to the community. Materials cover actions that participants and their families take before, during and after a disaster as well as an overview of CERT and local laws governing volunteers.
- Fire Suppression: Covers fire chemistry, hazardous materials, fire hazards and fire suppression strategies. However, the thrust of this session is the safe use of fire extinguishers, controlling utilities and extinguishing a small fire.
- Medical Operations Part I: Participants practice diagnosing and treating airway obstruction, bleeding and shock by using simple triage and rapid treatment techniques.
- Medical Operations Part II: Covers evaluating patients by doing a head to toe assessment, establishing a medical treatment area and performing basic first aid.
- Light Search and Rescue Operations: Participants learn about search and rescue planning, size-up, search techniques, rescue techniques and rescuer safety.
- Psychology and Team Organization: Covers signs and symptoms that might be experienced by the disaster victim and workers, and addresses CERT organization and management.
- Terrorism and CERT: Participants will learn the definition of terrorism; how terrorists choose their targets; weapons that they use; CBRNE Identification; how to prepare for a terrorist incident; and what protective actions to take.
- Course Review and Disaster Simulation: Participants review and practice the skills that they have learned during the previous six sessions in a disaster activity.
During each session participants are encouraged to bring safety equipment (gloves, goggles, mask) and disaster supplies (bandages, flashlight, dressings) which will be used during the session. By doing this for each session, participants are building a disaster response kit of items that they will need during a disaster.
*** Course Schedule ***
Unit 1 – Disaster Preparedness
Unit 2 – Fire Safety and Utility Controls
Unit 3 – Disaster Medical Operations I
Unit 4-Disaster Medical Operations II
Unit 5-Light Search and Rescue Operations
Unit 6-CERT Organization
Unit 7-Disaster Psychology
Unit 8-Terrorism and CERT
Unit 9-Final Exercise
Please Contact us with any questions. email: email@example.com